Lost? You’re in the right place!
Seattle Community Network has a place for everyone. Whether you’d like to join to get free Internet, get involved to help out your community, learn some skills so that you can get a job, or all of the above!
This document serves to point you to a few places where you can integrate yourself into our community, but ultimately it’s up to you to meet people and stay connected!
PRO TIP Do everything on this page! Our community is spread out in a lot of different places, so doing everything is the best way to get connected.
If you’ve never heard of Slack before, it’s an instant messaging platform that we use to stay in touch with each other, organize our different teams, and update everyone on last minute things.
This is a MUST do if you don’t want to get left out!
- Create a Slack account if you don’t have one already
- Install Slack on your computer and phone to always stay up-to-date.
- Join our Slack workspace
- Important! Join all of the channels that you might be interested in. By default you will only have access to a few, but there are actually a dozen hidden channels that conversations are happening in!
- To join channels on the computer application, go to the left-hand sidebar and scroll down until you see “Add channels”
- Click “Browse channels” and click “Join” on any channel that interests you. Repeat this step to add more channels.
- Introduce yourself in the
#introductionschannel! Some things you might want to include are how you heard about SCN and what got you interested in it!
PRO TIP Add as many channels as possible! You can always leave a channel or put it on mute later.
The best way to get involved with the network is to find someone that can direct you!
This could look like…
- joining a channel and asking for an update on what’s going on
- chatting with a team leader (over Zoom or Slack) about how you might be able to help
- attending a virtual/in-person meeting (e.g. monthly community meeting, regular team meeting, etc.)
On our Google calendar we post regular occurring meetings and any impromptu events like social events, emergency repairs, site visits, etc. This is one of the only places to find out about the meetings our various teams are having!
Join using one of these options:
- Use this link that should prompt you to add the calendar to your Google account
- Use this ICS file to manually add the calendar via the iCalendar format.
- View the calendar here
Our social media team makes posts about upcoming meetings, social events, and they also occasionally make educational posts!
It’s also worth dedicating some time to browse all the different sections of this website that you’re on.
- FAQ to get the answers to some common questions
- Community to read more about our community, rules, and what we’re up to
- Learn to gain some new skills that you can use to help out with our networks
- Infrastructure to get the details on how our networks work behind the scenes
Also check out our main website to learn more about us too.